Important points in performing abdominal exercises :
Updated: Aug 10, 2020
1. The order of exercise movements
In designing exercises for the abdominal muscles, first, the lower abdominal muscles should be strengthened (Origin of rectus abdominis, lower packs (Abs)), then the upper abdominal muscles (Insertion of rectus abdominis, upper packs (Abs)), next the oblique muscles, and finally, consider the deep or transverse abdominal muscles involved in plank and balance movements.
2. There is no localized fat loss, so choose a reasonable number of repetitions.
3. During performing abdominal movements, individuals, who do not have neck or disc problems, should bend their neck (head) forward around 30 degrees.
Keeping the head in straight position attenuate the involvement (engagement) and contraction of the abdominal muscles.
4. Complete exhalation plays an important role to achieve full contraction when the trunk or legs are folded.
5. When you have leg and shoulder exercises that require torso stability, it might be better to do abdominal exercises at the end of a workout session.